Week Five - Redlands


This week I read a few issues of Redlands. This comic was so beautifully illustrated and the first thing that stood out to me was the feminist themes occurring through the characters. I noticed that a lot of the men seem to be very relentless, most of them being huge perverts, creeps, or even rapists. I think the only male characters remotely kind within this story were the witches’ forensics man and Lawrence. Even from the beginning, the men appeared to be demonized. I found this ironic reading the first chapter though, because the men were taking refuge in a cabin, addressing the witches as bitches and demons. This aspect of the story is interesting though, because I notice how witchcraft is a common theme for feminist statements, which makes sense, since they’re very powerful, immortal women.

I also have to comment on how beautiful the artwork and writing in Redlands is. The body positivity and diversity are some things that makes this comic stand out from others. You can really tell a woman worked on this graphic novel because she shows her understanding through her art, and I feel like a lot of women readers can find a connection with some characters in the story, mostly through the Bridgette, Alice, and Ro. Matriarchy is the primary idea of this comic because of how the three witches took ownership of Redlands, Florida and keep it up through sacrifices. They respect men when they decide these men deserve respect. They kill men when they get what they need from them.

In contrast, there is also the film Kiki’s Delivery Service, a much more wholesome and lighthearted take on witches. The concept of the witch feels slightly subdued in this film, as Kiki doesn’t spend a lot of her time mixing potions or casting spells. The most witchy thing she really does is ride a broom, but that displays the kind of magic she professes in. Her mother brews potions and another witch Kiki encounters tells fortunes, so there are signs of a community of witches out there that are kind of the norm in their world. The film takes a different direction of magic, however, as later in the movie, Kiki loses her magic because she becomes sick and loses confidence in herself. This single thing displays that a woman’s source of “magic” comes from believing in herself and not relying on a man or anybody else for survival.

Comments

  1. I love your response to both Kiki's and Redlands, and after reading this I definitely want to read all of Redlands. I think the way you comment on the art style connecting with women was clever, because as I look at the art now I see your point. The shapes that they used are very unafraid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week One - Frankenstein

Week 12 - I Live With you